23 June 2012

A little rebooting…

I need to blog more often.

Which’ll probably take you by surprise if you’re used to reading my More Christ blog, in which I post something six times a week, and where I’m often accused of writing book-length essays. (Book length? Where are my accusers finding these tiny books?) But, y’see, that blog is not about me. It’s about Christianity. There’s a fair amount of me in it, to be sure. Still, it’s not about what I’m up to, what I’m doing, and all that.

Facebook and Twitter tend to get witticisms and brief comments out of me. This blog, in the past, tended to get political rants, religious rants, pop culture rants, or memoirs… which were more about Former Me than me. It’s easy to discuss Former Me, ’cause I’m not exactly Former Me anymore. We share a lot in common, like experiences and memories. But I keep critiquing what an jerk he was. I never get to critiquing what a jerk I am, or can be when I’m not careful. Same thing with the rants, in which I focus on things external to myself instead of myself.

I don’t expect to stop ranting, but I do intend to share more of myself. Of course, that’s easier said than done. A couple months ago I expressed my desire to do just that, and then didn’t do it. I wasn’t disciplined about it. So now I gotta get cracking. Now it’s gonna have to be a post a day. Or at least every other day.

Did I have to take all the previous stuff offline? Yes. Yes I did. People were reading the previous stuff—which dated back to 2005 for the blog, to 1998 when you include the Countryside Post columns, and to 1990 when you include the Mr. Squish comic strips—and asking me when that guy was gonna come back in all his snarky, sarcastic glory. I got too many requests for Former Me, and I’m trying to grow past him. So it was just easier to stick him in a box for now. Maybe post some of that stuff again eventually. For now, I’m gonna stick to the subject: Me.

Me me me me me me me.

No, I’m not turning the comments back on. If you want to give me feedback, my Facebook friends can post something to me there. Everybody else: God bless you, but I don’t know you well enough to take your responses all that seriously.

Okay, that’s enough for today.